Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars

Friday, April 3, 2020



Headlining my food posts is the perfect busy person recipe.  So simple, so delicious and a healthful breakfast, snack or even after dinner treat.  I would almost bet the ingredients are already sitting in your pantry. Are you ready? Here we go!

I've always tried to incorporate oats into my diet knowing their nutrition. And as a health professional, I guess I could start by writing out those benefits for you-- jammed packed of vitamins, minerals, can stabilize blood sugar and keep you fuller longer, etc.  But that would be a bit boring, eh?  The same could be said about a bowl of old fashioned oats! Adding banana slices and a dollop of peanut butter certainly sounds more enticing but having the time to sit and leisurely enjoy a bowl is not reality.  So what's the solution? Combine it all and create a scrumptious bar!  No baking required.





This recipe was inspired one morning by my overabundance of oatmeal, two overripe bananas, and a strong-willed preschool aged son.  For the reasons mentioned above, I'm not great at preparing oatmeal in the mornings. And trying to get my son to eat it is a battle. He downright refuses! We eat bananas regularly but that struggle also remains-- there's often one or two that are left behind due to "too many brown spots."  Tossing overripe bananas in the freezer for later use is a great option.  But my freezer is packed full at the moment (thanks, COVID-19) and I just can't stand anything going to waste. So, determined to get my son to eat some oats and use the bananas, I got to mixing.


Made up of only three ingredients, this recipe takes a whole three minutes of prep.  The oats soften as it sits which creates the perfect easy to eat bar. And I love how the pan is stored in fridge, allowing you to portion and serve as desired. 


We especially like to customize these bars with different toppings. The favorite for my preschooler (and husband!) is the "monster" version.  Place a couple peanut butter chips and colorful chocolate candies on top (I know you have a secret stash).  Sweet tooth approved!



"Monster" Oat PB Bar


Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars


Ingredients


3 cup oats, old fashioned or quick


2 very ripe bananas


1 cup peanut butter



Instructions


1. Peel bananas and combine with peanut butter in a bowl, continuing to mash and stir, until smooth consistency (some lumps will remain)


2. Fold in oats, continuing to mash and stir until well combined


3. Line a 9x9 pan with foil, lightly spray with a non-stick spray


4. Pour oat mixture into prepared pan, pressing around to ensure thickness is even. Let set in refrigerator a few minutes to assist with cutting into squares/bars. Store in refrigerator.


Notes



  • This recipe works best with the no stir types of peanut butter
  • Can add slightly less or slightly more oats depending on preference
  • Mixins could be added into oat mixture. Recommend following steps 1 and 2 and then stir in

Enjoy! Let me know what you think. And don't forget to tag me @briefandbalanced and hashtag #briefandbalanced so we can enjoy these together.  Save this to your "easy recipe" board on Pinterest for reference. Although you probably have the recipe memorized by now ;)

3 comments