Nothing Bundt Pancakes

Wednesday, August 26, 2020



Hello!  It seems like forever since I sat down to type at my computer. I took a break last week from devices and it was so needed. As with all aspects of our life, it's important to take breaks. Change the pace.  I feel like these times offer moments of clarity and narrow down priorities. But even more, breaks allow space to daydream, reset and come back refreshed. So here I am, grateful for the time away but also grateful to come back to this "me" time. It feels great to sit down and invest in something I enjoy doing. 

And I've got a great recipe today!!  Breakfast Bundt Pancakes!   These mini cakes are mixed up with your favorite pancake mix and topped with your favorite toppings. Quick, healthful, and beyond delicious. Perfect portions for grab and go breakfast, little hands or... 

Perfect for anyone whose kid won't eat anything but pancakes for breakfast. 

Sound familiar to anyone else? My son has been a pancake fanatic since around 2 years of age. "Pay pays" he says when I give him the choice between cereal, oatmeal, or toast. So I've always been on the hunt for a healthier way to enjoy pancakes.  And yet he knows when I add oatmeal, color them green with spinach, or swap in bananas. Smart kid, right?

Last spring I was decluttering my kitchen cabinets and came across a mini bundt cupcake pan.  I've had it forever with hardly any use. I started brainstorming about how I could use it. The potential for this pan seemed much greater than just a pretty way to serve cake. 

Well, the pan made it's debut on Easter when my son and I made mini lemon cake "nests" with colorful jelly beans "eggs." 

Mini bundt cake as nest with candy eggs, Easter 2020


And that's when it hit me. Mini bundt cakes are meant to hold things...like a nest!  So thinking back to my morning pancake problem, I knew I could knock out two birds with one stone: make a more healthful pancake and create morning variety. 

The whole family now gobbles up these breakfast bundt cakes. I mix up at batch at the beginning of the week using our favorite pancake mix (my son hasn't caught on to the extra protein). The center makes an ideal resting spot for sausage, egg, fruit or yogurt. 


Talk about easy mornings. I reach in the fridge, reheat for about 15 seconds and customize upon serving. These cakes have even replaced those store bought frozen pancakes. I feel confident we've added way more nutrition and variety to each day. And yes, I still offer syrup as a topping on occasion.

You can use any pancake mix.  Typically we buy this protein variety from Aldi. Another great option is Krusteaz protein pancake mix.  If you're looking for extra whole grains and don't mind spending a bit more, I highly recommend Kodiak Cakes. Such fun flavors too!

Protein pancake mix available at Aldi USA grocery

I double the box recipe for 12 mini bundt cakes.  I  also mix in half water and half milk.  I've found this makes the batter a bit creamier. Also adds a few more grams of protein.  Sprinkle in cinnamon for some hints of warm, subtle sweetness.  

Simply pour the batter into the pan, filling each cake cup about 3/4 full.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Store leftovers in airtight container for easy breakfasts all week long. 

Be sure to spray pan well around center and sides of cake cup

I don't track numbers but keep a general knowledge of my nutrition. Especially sugar to protein ratio. So for the way I mix this recipe, each mini bundt cake has approximately 78 cal, 6 grams of protein and 3 grams of sugar.  Obviously, that varies slightly with what mix you use, how you mix it and what you serve as toppings.   

But I call this a win. And this makes a great snack option too. 

Make a batch and you'll see why we eat nothing bundt pancakes around here!

Let me know if you try this recipe. Enjoy!

Xo,

Brit




Nothing Bundt Pancakes

Ingredients:

Preferred pancake mix, prepared

Cinnamon

Sausage links, fresh berries, or yogurt


Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray mini bundt pan with non-stick spray

2. Sprinkle in cinnamon into your prepared pancake batter 

3. Evenly distribute the batter into the mini bundt pan, filling 3/4 way full, and bake for 15 minutes.

4. Run a butter knife around the outside edge of bundt pan and turn over to remove pancakes.

5. Serve warm with desired toppings and/or syrup. 

Notes

  • you could also mix toppings into batter. Small mixins like nuts, sprinkles, choc chips work best for this. 

Post a Comment