Pork KaBOBBYs

Tuesday, August 11, 2020


Kabobs on the grill are fantastic. I do the prep and the husband cooks. Little does he know, he actually has the more time consuming part of this meal! Named after my little sous chef, I'm here to show you the quickest way to a flavorful, healthy, colorful dinner--KaBobbys.

We've been buying this Smithfield Fresh Pork Loin for awhile. It's one of those staple items I've found from Walmart Grocery and it's our favorite. It's a wonderful fresh, thick cut that is high quality and so, so flavorful. And this cut is just under two pounds but I get a couple meals out of it, making it extremely budget friendly.  In fact for this recipe, I cut the pork loin in half and froze the other section so that we can have dinner later on.  

The great thing about this pork loin is it's already marinated. So once I cut up my veggies, all I have to do is assemble the kabobs.  You can buy the pork unflavored and do your own marinade. But ya know, I love making easy EASIER! 

So here I used the Roasted Garlic and Herb Smithfield Fresh Boneless Pork Loin with yellow and red bell pepper, red onion and canned pineapple.  Such a desirable combination of juicy pork, crispy vegetables and sweet pineapple.  Obviously, you could use fresh pineapple for elevated flavor.  But since I don't necessarily have one sitting around on a given day, canned it is. You could also use any vegetables you have on hand-- tomatoes, squash, mushrooms, etc. 

Assembling these kabobs could not be more fun for my son and I to do together. I typically prep the ingredients during nap time. I cut the meat and veggies up in about 1 1/2 inch pieces. I open and drain the pineapple.  Then, once my son wakes, we stick it all on our metal skewers. I do most of the sticking, of course.  But he tells me what order for the colors and hands me the pieces. He also "taste tests" the peppers and pineapple to make sure I'm using only the finest ingredients.  

Dad then fires up the grill, cooks for about 15-20 minutes and a colorful, delicious meal is ready.  We love to dip in a bbq sauce (homemade or store bought).  I typically serve with brown rice (instant or Trader Joe's frozen and microwave ready in three minutes ).  

What I love most about this dinner is how it appeals to us adults but also easily serves the kids. I'll slide everything off the stick and slice/chop into smaller pieces as needed. The pork is easy to "shred" with a fork and knife for my toddler. 

Side note--these double skewers are a must have. They're stainless steel so no prep needed (wooden kabob skewers typically need to be soaked for 15 minutes prior to using) and they are dishwasher safe.  Love the double feature because you can assemble how you like.  They're from Crate and Barrel years ago (wedding registry item) but I'm sure they have a similar item. 

We always have some leftovers which I combine in a container or two for lunches. A scoop of rice, meat and colorful veggies, and sweet pineapple. What a fun way to meal prep too!

I'll keep you posted about how I prepare that other half of pork that I froze. Typically, I'll crock pot that portion and shred into sandwiches or tacos. But it's also wonderful to top with Pineapple Salsa.  

Pick up a pre-marinated pork loin on your next grocery haul. Snap a picture and tag me, @briefandbalanced. I'd love to see how you cook up your KaBobbys! 

xo, Brit


Pork KaBobbys

Ingredients:

2 large bell peppers

1/2 red onion

1 cup of pineapple chunks

1 pound of Smithfield seasoned Pork Loin 


Instructions:

1. Cut up pork, peppers and onion into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Drain canned pineapple 

2. Thread pork, bell pepper, onion and pineapple onto skewers

3. Place assembled kabobs onto heated grill at roughly 400 degrees

4. Cook kabobs for about 15 minutes, rotating every few minutes. 


Notes:

  • Spray grill with nonstick spray to ease cooking
  • This recipe uses half of pork loin (comes as 2 lb) but you can use more or less depending on preference



Post a Comment