The Icing on the Cake

Tuesday, May 19, 2020



Welcome back! And if you're new here, you're in good company!  Just a week ago I let the world know about my little piece of the internet. And you know what?  It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be! Perhaps that is the beauty of growing up.  Things that once held me back, don't. When starting something new, I take peace in knowing that no matter how the path curves, I'm still traveling. And there's something to be said about that!

On a bit deeper note, I'm also finding that vulnerability and my overall wellness are deeply connected. As I let go of past experiences or worry, I find a new sense of confidence and freedom. I allow new doors to open--like this blog! And in turn, this space adds new energy to my days. Expanding my mind beyond chores, cheerios and paw patrol feels so refreshing!  And having a new outlet also makes me appreciate the never-ending laundry and those lovable rescue pups a bit more. Funny how that works.

Photo courtesy of Unsplash

Beyond the new hobby, I found an even sweeter part to this space. And that is YOU. Having you follow along with me is truly the icing on the cake. So thank you for reading this. Thank you for all the encouraging words this past week.  Thank you for texting me and letting me know that your bananas were ripening or that you were inspired by my Monday meal makeover on Instagram. It all means so much!

Alright, enough rambling.  Let’s start baking! You're only five ingredients and a few minutes away from a batch of scrumptious frosted cupcake minis. I will admit-- I can't take credit for the cake itself. Years ago (circa 2012), Pinterest let me in on this little secret.  Turns out greek yogurt is one heck of a swap for oil and eggs!

My favorite cake mix and greek yogurt can be found at ALDI

The frosting is an original and, of course, has a back story.  You see, I desperately searched for ways to entertain my son last year while tending to baby sissy.  One day, I handed him a canister with the colorful sprinkles behind the foil lid. What a treat! He spent hours frosting anything... and everything. Not wanting to rob us both from this independent, quiet, time sucking activity, I opted for a more nutritious way. Cue the PB and yogurt. We now whip this up together, and I even encourage him to lick the bowl.

My husband loves this frosting. And he’s a bit picky too. Anything "too sweet" is "just too much" and gets left behind on his plate.  Not this one! This subtly sweetened icing also spreads perfectly onto cakes, muffins, graham crackers, apple slices, etc. Add sprinkles or small candies, and we can all have our frosting and eat it too.  
PB frosting on chocolate '2-ingredient' cake

This recipe below makes 24 cupcake minis.  I typically make one batch of frosting and frost only those that I need at the time. I guarantee that you'll be eating some of these cakes plain anyways. Make more frosting as needed. If you’re feeling fancy, grab a small Ziploc bag.  Cut a tiny piece off the corner and fill bag with the frosting. You can swirl the frosting onto the cakes. How easy is that!

Store the remaining frosting in fridge. You'll continue to love the taste after chills. And if you sneak a spoonful, I won't tell. Unlike most peanut butter frostings, you're splurging without the stick of butter, cups of sugar or heavy creams. Now that's what I call a happy and healthier celebration!

Enjoy and thanks again for such a fun week!

 XO, Brit


Vanilla cupcake minis with Peanut Butter Frosting

Ingredients

Cake:
1 box of white cake mix
1 cup greek yogurt (I used plain)
1 cup water

PB Frosting:
1 cup peanut butter
½ cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoon of powdered sugar
3-4 Tablespoons of water
chocolate chips

Directions
1. Mix the dry cake mixture with one cup of yogurt and one cup of water
2. Add blended mixture to greased mini muffin pan, filling 1/2-3/4 full
3. Bake according to the time frame on your box. Time may need to be reduced by five minutes.
4. Meanwhile, use a hand mixer to blend peanut butter, greek yogurt, milk, powdered sugar. Once blended, add water one tablespoon at a time, ensuring desired consistency. Frosting tends to be moist but should not be runny.
5. Once cupcakes are cool, frost and add chocolate chips

Notes
  • If using a large container of greek yogurt, mix contents before adding to measuring cup to avoid extra liquid in frosting
  • Any milk will work--whole milk or 2% is preferred. Milk can also be used in place of water in frosting
  • Powdered sugar can be adjusted (I can get by with 2 tablespoons with my family, some may prefer a bit more)
  • Store frosting in air tight container in fridge. Give a quick stir before using 

Post a Comment