Crockpot Lasagna

Tuesday, June 23, 2020


When I think of lasagna the following words come to mind: birthdays, laughter, friends and family, warmth, dining room, holidays, wine...

My mom is known for her huge pan of lasagna which is certainly a staple for celebrations.  While I love eating it, I have to be honest.  These following words also come to mind:  too much work!

The recipe that I'm sharing today is one that I've been making for years.  It's another one of those that my family knows me for because at one time, I think everything I made was in a slow cooker (back to my philosophy of not wanting to spend time cleaning dishes!) I received the "Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook" as a gift and came across a meal concept that I knew I had to try--Lasagna!

I had my doubts at first, but I have to say-- Lasagna is definitely one meal that should be made in a slow cooker.  With some adjustments, I've made it my own and continue to be surprised at how well it turns out every time. 



This lasagna has every bit of the traditional flavor of mama's but is far less work. For one, you don't even have to boil the noodles!  Open the box, break them up and add the layers. Once the meat is browned, it's just a few minutes of prep and the slow cooker does the rest.

And don't overthink the layers too much when assembling. Break up the noodles and place them to fit the majority of your crockpot. You can use more or less, depending on your preference. I personally like to play the game called "cover every visible surface of the slow cooker with a noodle." I end up with smaller pieces and more overlap. To me, it adds structure and a bit more pasta taste.  Which is never a bad thing, right?! 


I also like to break up the spinach a bit. I find it more appealing when cutting into a piece and serving.  But don't spend time chopping.  Just tear the leaves as you layer them in.  

Lite ricotta cheese is the best cheese option in my opinion.  In the past, I have used cottage cheese and/or greek yogurt for a "healthier" version.  Still delicious, but those do change the texture and taste, however. Ricotta helps build a thicker, more structured dish. Plus, with a the lite option, you still save on fat and calories while maintaining a traditional taste. 



Follow the main pattern to this recipe, but feel free to switch up ingredients.  I've made it so many ways, it's actually pretty fun!  For example, switch out ground beef for ground chicken or turkey.  Or, skip the meat all together and added in pieces of zucchini, squash or mushrooms. I'm always up for a hearty vegetable lasagna, especially in the summertime.

I think my favorite thing about this meal (aside from being quick and easy) is the fact that I actually enjoy a piece of lasagna . So often slow cooker meals are categorized as "messy" because they end up as big ol' gloppy messes in the end. Not this one.  Even if I cut into right at that four hour mark, I'm able to slice it out.  And the longer it sets, the more firm and easier it is.

So like traditional pan lasagna, leftovers are just as good, if not better!


Basically, you can't go wrong however you decide to make this. But the recipe below is by far my favorite.  It provokes all those happy feelings and good times celebrating.  

And I'll let you in on a little secret.  Even my mother, who finds pure joy in spending a whole day in the kitchen for a meal that's gobbled up within minutes, has come over to the slow cooker side.  It's THAT good.





Crockpot Lasagna

Ingredients:

8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped (I use frozen)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1- 24 oz jar pasta sauce
1/3 cup water
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
15 oz lite ricotta cheese
1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Instructions:

1. Spray crock-pot with non-stick cooking spray. 
2. Break noodles and place half in bottom of crock-pot. 
3. Cook ground beef in skillet. When almost brown, add in onion and finish cooking. Drain. 
4. Return meat to pan and stir in Italian seasoning. Spread half over noodles in crock-pot
5. Layer half of sauce and water, half of spinach, half of ricotta cheese and half of mozzarella cheese over meat.  Repeat layers.
6. Cover. Cook on low for 4 hours.


Post a Comment