Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip Lasagna Roll Ups

Monday, September 21, 2020

YOU GUYS. I don't usually toot my own horn but this is one recipe that I'm pretty darn excited about. I've transformed my favorite Trader Joe's spinach dip into an amazing filling for my lasagna roll ups! The quickest way to a pan of pasta to enjoy this week.

I'm always taking my favorites and thinking about how I can use them differently. This dip is no exception! I devour it right out of the carton but I've always thought it had just a wee bit more potential. And clearly, it does! 

Have you had this dip before? It's the Spinach and Kale Dip from Trader Joe's. THE BEST. This decadent mixture is blended with everything you love about typical spinach dip.   Plus, water chestnuts, red peppers, carrots, green onions and garlic. But don't let that turn you off. You have to try it!  It truly does not taste super "veggie" or healthy.

Healthier way to eat spinach dip, found in refrigerated section at TJs. 

These lasagna roll ups have 6 main ingredients, require very little prep and hit the spot! Mixing my favorite dip in with chicken creates all the flavor and color of other spinach roll ups but without the time chopping, measuring or adding extra seasoning, liquid, etc.  Add in a dollop of ricotta cheese and the creaminess blends perfectly with the firm cooked noodles.  Everything you'd want from a lasagna. And they're nutritious! 

Never eaten lasagna roll ups?  You're missing out. The filling rolls up perfectly into individual lasagna noodles. Lay them in a dish with some sauce, cover with foil and bake. It's such a great way to enjoy pasta. And the part is-- you can make it ahead of time!  

Boil noodles, mix up the filling and roll them up. At this point you can choose to 1) bake now in oven 2) store in refrigerator until mealtime or 3) freeze the pan for a great make ahead meal.

It's so easy!!  Use your favorite chicken and piece, shred, dice-- anything goes! The best shortcut to for meat is canned chicken (drained). And it's delicious! It mixes up so well with NO effort and prep. I'm telling ya, if you don't stock this in your pantry, please try it here. 

I definitely recommend a small amount of ricotta but to be honest, the first couple times I made this, I didn't use any.  But I will say when warmed, the dip had just a bit of a sour taste (probably due to the greek yogurt and small amount of mayonnaise). It wasn't bad, but I think the ricotta cancels out the tang. Plus, it gives a bit more of a traditional lasagna taste that we all love. 

When you remove from the oven, you can sprinkle a tiny bit of mozzarella cheese and fresh spinach on each roll. Replace the foil and let sit for a couple minutes. The heat melts the cheese, wilts the spinach and adds color plus a bit more nutrition. 

Alright. This definitely is one of my favorite meal makeovers. I knew my family loved lasagna roll ups and loved this dip. And I loved getting creative. I hope you love them too!

And great thing--you still have the rest of the spinach and kale dip to devour. Or to make another family friendly recipe with. Stay tuned ;)

xo, 

Brit

Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip Lasagna Roll Ups

Ingredients:

3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip from Trader Joe's
1 cup ricotta cheese (part skim)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups marinara sauce
10 lasagna noodles
Olive oil, mozzarella cheese, fresh spinach pieces, optional

Instructions:

1. Boil lasagna noodles per instructions on package. Drain, lightly drizzle with olive oil to avoid sticking and lay flat on pan
2. In bowl, combine chicken, dip, ricotta and parmesan cheese
3. Spread 1/3 cup mixture on each lasagna noodle and roll jelly-roll fashion
4. Pour and spread 1 cup  marinara sauce into bottom of baking dish
5. Arrange lasagna rolls, seam-side down in sauce in dish
6. Top with remaining marinara sauce
7. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until hot (sauce will bubble)
8. Top with mozzarella cheese, fresh spinach, recover for 1-2 minutes
9. Uncover and serve

Notes:
  • Sub your favorite white sauce for marinara for a completely different look/taste!

Post a Comment