Freezer Hack: Burger Bags

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Hello! Today I'm here to talk about...well, meat. Perhaps that doesn't seem too exciting, or even appealing, but hang with me. I'm excited to share this freezer trick.

I was never a fan of buying meat in bulk, freezing, and defrosting.  I enjoyed my frequent trips to the store to pick up fresh food.  And besides, defrosting took FOREVER and I'd end up with a questionable hunk of meat that was half thawed, half icy. Um, no thank you.

But then I realized two things. One, I now had kids and those frequent grocery stops were not realistic. And two, I was freezing and defrosting the meat ALL WRONG. 

So I came up with a solution and solved all my thawing woes. Now, I can't live without freezing meat!

I call them "burger bags."

Place 1 pound of hamburger into a freezer gallon size Ziploc bag.  Seal the bag and press the meat flat into approximately an 8" square.

(No need to grab the tape measure. This ends up being about 3/4 the width and height of the gallon ziploc bag). 


Freeze burger bag like this

It's easy to store in the freezer, it thaws SO MUCH faster, and once defrosted, you're all set to make the most delicious burgers. 

To defrost, I simply place bag in fridge. Typically the day before I plan to use it. 

Now let me show you why these are truly called burger bags. 

Lay thawed bag flat on counter. Tear away the top layer of ziploc bag. Lift the meat by placing hand(s) under the bottom layer of ziploc.  Flip square patty right into baking dish. 


When ready to use frozen meat, place in fridge until defrosted. Then open bag, lift and flip right into dish
No more handling raw meat and raw juices all over the counter.  And easy enough to prep with kids running underfoot. Oh and clean up? Toss the bag away.



Hope you find this trick helpful.  And now that your meat is in the baking dish, let's make some burgers!

xo,

Brit

Ps. Even though they're called burger bags, I freeze all my ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken, etc.) in freezer bags this way. It really does thaw faster and more evenly, maintaining the taste and quality.

Post a Comment